Wednesday, February 08, 2006

On Duke, Dust and Taxes (okay, no taxes)

Tonight was the BIG game. The Duke/UNC game. And. We. Won! It was a great game . . . considering. Considering that we're still making a lot of stupid mistakes (not to mention our lack of rebounding, which has driven me nuts all season) and I think both teams may have almost broken a turnover record. Duke had a giant lead at the top of the second half and it was slowly and consistently whittled away. I freaked out when UNC took the lead and then worked all the way up to a 5 point lead. I've never been so happy that J.J. Redick stuck around for his senior year. Yay! As much as I look forward to these games every year, I'm SO glad it's over.

I coined an incredible phrase today. I was talking to Lolo on the phone and I said, "Man, I have some skanky breath. I had a hot dog, or maybe it's the beer and cigarettes. I have New Orleans street breath!" So next time you have awful breath feel free to use my phrase: New Orleans Street Breath.

I did a bunch of random access dusting Saturday. By that, I mean dusting in odd unreachable places. Also known as the horrid places where all the dust is. I HATE dust. First of all, I'm allergic to it. I wore a dust mask some of the time, but after a while, my breath gets to me. My first wave of dusting is electronic: I use the "hand vac." And by hand vacuum, I guess they mean, "A great vacuuming method if you have four hands." So I had My Sweetie follow me around with the vacuum/motorized part while I did all the aiming of the suction apparatus. Even after all that, it still feels like I've just touched the tip of the iceberg. That old saying about the only two guarantees in life are death and taxes is wrong. There are THREE things. Death, Taxes and DUST. I HATE dust.

Speaking of dust (which I hate), I've always felt somewhat lacking in the housewife department because I have never ever purchased drapes. I think DRAPES is an acronym for Dust Receptacle And Pet Entertainment Site. Seriously, I see drapes as a giant holder of dust and something very entertaining for my cats. I am a mini-blind person. And thank God I'm married or how else could I ever vacuum the mini-blinds? (Note to self: Vacuum the mini-blinds.) Full disclosure here: I do have a small pleated Roman shade in my blue bathroom. It's a natural cloth small thing, but every time I see it my brain goes "Dust Magnet!" I have vacuumed it a few times (not enough) but, anyway, I don't believe it qualifies as "drapes." Also I would appreciate any tips on how to wash the thing as it is attached to a wooden dowel.

I was going to mention my favorite Super Bowl commercials but it's been done Ad Nauseum. Get it? Ad? but now I've decided to do it anyway. The pony one where the pony tried to pull the Budweiser wagon and the two older Clydesdales were pushing it from behind. I actually shed some "Oh that's so sweet!" tears. The funny ones were (not in any specific order) the ads for 1) I work with monkeys/I work with jackasses 2) the magic beer fridge 3) "Addicted to Lost." Okay that last one wasn't funny, it was just cool.

So now that I've rambled on and on, I feel caught up. Tomorrow of course is Meals on Wheels, so I'm hoping to have more tales to tell. And hopefully no dust will be involved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have Nawlin's street breath today.