Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Labor Day Weekend

Holiday Mondays always disorient me. It wasn't until 5:00 today that I realized it was Monday. I always wash the sheets on Monday, so I was finally making the bed tonight at 10 pm. On Sunday we went to my Mom's for a good ole' Labor Day weekend type event, which is odd because none of us are generally traditional about holidays. I just thought it would be fun to swim in the pool. We have a large outdoor spa, but it's not the same as a regular swimming pool. My daughter Kate went with us. She's 21 and lives on her own. I never even mentioned it to her because I assumed she would be working, but my Mom had e-mailed her. We stopped by a dollar store on the way to get a ball to play with in the pool. She went in and got a blow-up Barbie pool ball. I don't know why but we all thought that was hilarious. It was the usual sort of gathering for my family: The 3 generations of the female persuasion consumed mass quantities of beer and yapped non-stop. My step-dad made one tiny appearance after a couple of hours. He stayed inside to watch golf. My husband mostly hung out with us and made occasional witty comments. Because of my parents and my daughter all "starving to death," we ended up eating about 3 hours earlier than my husband and I are used to. It was fun though, we had the standard holiday fare of hotdogs, potato salad and coleslaw. After we ate I experimented with frozen peach Bellini's. I really trashed my Mom's kitchen but they were pretty good. I'll probably be sore tomorrow from all my "swimming." I just hope I don't wake up, think it's Monday, and wash the sheets again.

No comments: