Sunday, September 18, 2005

Free Association for only a Dollar

Meals on Wheels this past Wednesday was pretty uneventful. I didn't see my new guy from 2 weeks ago -it's one of those knock/yell "Meals on Wheels"/let yourself in/leave the food on the table set-ups, but I saw his cats. Nice-looking big cats, and no human to be seen. I kept thinking that when I left, they would jump up on the table, tear thru the cellophane and have their way with that man's lunch. Kate called around 1:30 to see if I would still be at Bennigan's at 4:00. I eat lunch at Bennigan's every Wednesday after MOW and even sit in the same spot at the bar. About 4 times someone was in my seat and it threw off my whole day. I used to go to Friday's but we had a falling out. I can't say why because it was based on politics (more or less) and I made a vow to never discuss politics on this blog. Let's just say that this November 3rd will mark my one year anniversary of the Bennigan's lunch. I digressed as usual. So Kate called and I told her that I had no idea. Sometimes I get bored and leave around 3:00 and sometimes I will sit there until My Sweetie calls between 6 & 7 wondering where I am. Well I was in story-telling mode with Kevin the bartender and was there when she called back. Kate showed up and we had some drinks blabbing to Kevin the whole time. Somehow, we decided that when Kevin got off after 5:00 that we needed to continue the party and the 3 of us met up at Bellbottom's, about 2 miles away. Oh and I forgot about the weird "jewelry salesmen" that had been at Bennigan's before Kate arrived. These were 2 guys about 24 years old, dressed alike in plain white cotton T-shirts and dripping with chains, bracelets, watches and rings. The alpha dude bought me a shot of Jaeger. He also proclaimed my watch to be nothing short of spectacular (my words, not his) and also said my emerald (ring) looked fake. Well Kevin the bartender is really funny. After Kate arrived at Bennigan's I was telling her about those 2 guys and I said, "Kevin, what was that guy's name?" Kevin shrugged and said "Coke dealer #2?" That really tickled my funny bone. I think I laughed about that for 2 days. I don't remember a lot after I got to Bellbottom's. I know I talked to some other people at the bar. I had that prime corner seat. So (and don't tell anybody) I ended up driving home with one eye closed. Then I took a two-hour "nap."

We got the 6th season of Frasier this week and have already watched every single one of them. Today (Saturday) we had a sort of Frasier marathon. Also my friend Jeanette from my last blog called. That's always a treat. She lives in Atlanta and I'm trying to talk her into a visit for Thanksgiving. We haven't seen each other in so long we will probably have to do something odd like wear "Where's Waldo?" caps so we can find each other at the airport. Tonight we watched "Mean Girls." That movie had a few serious belly-laugh moments, but was mostly just interesting. I knew it would be a good movie because it was written by Tina Fey. This afternoon I caught the last half of a movie which I think was called "A Walk on the Moon," with Diane Lane, Liev Schreiber and Viggo Mortensen. It was supposed to be set in 1969 and some of the clothes were driving me crazy. I may have been only 8, but I was alive in 1969 and I pretty much remember the clothes. The worst part, tho, was a scene where Liev's character, in a rage, pulls up too fast in a car and stops quickly. The sound effect was "the screech of brakes," and well, he was on a dirt road. In case you didn't know, "the screech of brakes" sound has nothing to do with brakes. It's the sound of rubber on asphalt meeting in an unpleasant manner. Oh well, if you think about those things too much it can make you crazy. It was a cute movie but I would only recommend it if you are a giant Diane Lane fan. Viggo was not so impressive in the movie what with those 70's (yeah I know it was supposed to be 69) sideburns and all.

When Jeanette called this afternoon, we started talking about stupid people. I do not like stupid people. Jeanette, being a very tolerant person, I had to try to make my point. By stupid, I don't mean uneducated. I mean people who form opinions based on false assumptions. I mean, assumptions in any form are bad. One should never assume ANYTHING. In my Oxford American dictionary the definition of assume is "suppose to be the case without proof." Without proof. Now don't get weird on me here. If you're sitting there thinking, "Well if there were a choice between being beaten and thrown in mud or having beer and pizza, I'd assume people would choose the beer and pizza." No, you KNOW people would prefer the beer and pizza and if there were people who'd pick the first choice, they don't count. Because they are retarded at best. And by retarded, I do not mean the 70's psychiatric definition. I mean the modern slang definition. Also stupid can just be stupid. I have an example taken from today's paper. It's from Hints from Heloise. Here is the hint:

Dear Heloise: I have a cat who helps herself to anything we leave out on the counters. I use a dome picnic net that goes over food on the table. She cannot get it off, and our food is safe. --Patti Spencer, Remington, VA

Seriously, I don't even know where to start here. Okay, why have you not trained your cat to stay off the counter? I've had cats all my life and not one of them got on the counter, on tables, on the couch or where ever I trained them not to go. Next: Why on earth is food sitting around on your counters? If you are going out to the garage to set up this tent thing, just cover the freaking food and put it in the fridge! Who the fuck leaves food sitting around on their counters? And lastly, and this was something I was trying to explain to Jeanette that makes me crazy: This person thinks they are SMART. They wrote a hint to Heloise for crying out loud. AND NOW Heloise has printed it. So this stupid person thinks they are smart. aaaaaaaarrgh!!! So Jeanette, if you read this, that's the kind of stupid person I do not like.

Tomorrow (Sunday) we are meeting My Sweetie's parents for dinner. We are taking them out for both their birthdays as they are on a fixed income. They are both true "characters." That's the kind of people I like. Actually it's his step-dad, but has been in his life since he was 10 or so. Bill, the step-dad is a true Texas character. He has pictures on the wall of himself with Willie Nelson and other famous Texans. This man can tell stories. He's been mentioned in the paper a couple of times and is thanked in the forward of some Texas book about cowboys (not the team, actual cowboys). I think I'll try to talk him into starting a blog tomorrow. He loves the internet. He's 72 and he calls his internet friends "pen pals." How cute is that?

Well, I guess I'm done. Be sure and send me that dollar.

1 comment:

geewits said...

AW, c'mon AJ give yourself some credit. If it will make you feel better I will tell you something I told everyone at dinner tonight. I said, "I could get readers if I posted my blog in the comments of other blogs. The problem is most of the blogs I read, the people are so weird, I don't want them on my blog. The other blogs I read, the people are too clever and I don't want them to think I'm stupid." So maybe. AJ, on some level, I feel like we are on the same level. Hey! I heard you laugh!