Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Rufus Poopus

I usually like to post about my Meals on Wheels Wednesdays. I went to Italianni's for lunch and I was complaining to everyone that MOW went so smoothly, that I had nothing for my blog. What's that old saying? Something like "be careful what you wish for...?" I stayed at the bar until about 4:00, then ran some errands.

(Warning: Major Digression and back-tracking)
I took both rolls of film in so we could pick them up on our way out later. And man I am worse than I thought I was. There were pictures from my daughter's birthday and that was August 23rd! There were Halloween pictures, our anniversary, Christmas pictures, Valentine's Day flowers pictures. I really need to get a digital camera. Oh also my before and after painting pictures, but the after pictures were weird and the paint looks black. I'll just fix them on Photoshop and post them later.

Anyway, today was My Sweetie's niece's birthday and we were all doing the cake thing at my in-laws' house at 7:00. Our original plan (as we are late eaters) was to do the birthday party thing at 7:00, leave just after 8:00 and go to Red Lobster. Well, what happened was....

Okay one of the kids kept yelling about "the cat." My in-laws hate cats and have trapped many feral cats and taken them away, so I really wasn't paying that much attention. Well this was NOT a feral cat. The sweetest little black kitten was in their back yard, desperate for attention and trying to get in the house. And this cat was not even afraid of those loud kids. My brother-in-law had tried placing him over various fences to send him back on his way, but he would have none of it. I'm not sure if I've mentioned Sammy before, but he was my beloved cat that we had to have put to sleep in January of 2004. Sammy was all black with just a few little hints of white spots. Well, so was this kitty.

I took it as a sign. My Sweetie said, "We can't take this cat, it's probably someone's pet." Well what sort of pet owner has a very skinny bony cat desperate to get in someone else's house? If the kitty looked well fed, I would never have considered bringing him home. Well this was NOT a well-fed cat. This was a hungry cat. Not anymore.

Rufus is now laying by my feet. We're going to start him out here in the bar room. There are French doors into the living room, so Jake and Lilly have seen Rufus. And Rufus has seen them. There's been some hissing through the glass and a lot of under-the-door sniffing. I AM going to check the paper and internet every day for the next two weeks. If someone is looking for Rufus, they are going to have to drive all the way over here to get him. I have a feeling that as skinny as he is, no one is looking for him.

Okay, I left out the hideous part. Rufus started out a bit jumpy in the truck. It's about a 30 minute ride. He settled down after about 5 minutes, although he did poot once and man, was it stinky. He spent most of the ride just laying in the space behind the driver's side. Well when we got to about 5 minutes from the house, he climbed into my lap and and perched on my left thigh. I was thinking how calm he was. Then I thought he pooted again. THEN I felt a hideous warmth on my left thigh. Yes, Rufus pooped on my left thigh. The smell was horrific, but the concept of it was worse. I grabbed some paper towels, rolled down the window and lit a cigarette. As soon as we pulled into the driveway, I said, "Grab the cat!" I jumped out, ran in the house and threw my jeans in the wash. I washed my hands 4 times and Sea Breezed my leg twice. And then I smelled some coffee. (In case you didn't know, smelling coffee will get any nasty smell out of your brain and nose.) Yep. as Bob from "Survivor" would say, "Rufus 'dropped a deuce' on my leg." YUCK! But if you think about it, it's a lot easier to put your jeans in the wash, than de-funk your truck's carpet. I guess he did me a favor. Sort of.

Anyway, he is the cutest thing ever. Now I need to get film to take pictures of him. And I'll try to get them developed before Halloween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too cool! You got a new kiity! Does it make you think of Sammy a lot? Head-bunt!