Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Report




I had a great Christmas! The party on the 23rd went pretty well. It was a multi-generational party with a small horde of wild children, but I think things went pretty smoothly. Everyone seemed to have a good time and most of the food was eaten. However, I did forget to put the cinnamon sticks in the mulled cider - and didn't realize it until an hour after everyone left!
~ ~ ~
Christmas eve was a day of rest and recovery. I mostly lounged on the couch and watched a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie I had recorded. I love those things. I even took a nap. That evening we went to our favorite restaurant, then came home and exchanged one gift. I got the most awesome gift ever - an autographed #4 jersey from J. J. Redick! My Sweetie is the best husband EVER! I gave him the 6th season of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Our hotel in San Diego has a DVD player and when we went last year we took Buffy and ended each day by lounging on the couch and watching some "Buffy." I thought it would be fun to be able to do that again. Wow! That's less than two weeks away! I also opened one gift from my best friend Lolo. It was a Duke Christmas stocking. That was cool that my two Christmas eve presents were Duke things.
~ ~ ~
On Christmas day, I cooked sausage and eggs, and made the eggs the way my Dad always did. That was my way of remembering him on Christmas day. I got a Dianne Reeves CD (playing now, ahhhh), the John Legend CD, Pirates 2, some books and my crazy Robopet (pictured above). - That Robopet is freaky. There's a video here. I named him Sparky. The funniest thing about him so far is that Rufus is mesmerized by him and always tries to smell his butt. - Around 5:30, we left for my Mom's house. As usual, Mom served up a killer meal. My daughter made the deviled eggs and they were probably the best I've ever had. I taught her how to make them and my secret is to use several mustards, but hers were better. She said one of the mustards she used was a spicy horseradish mustard. I want some of that mustard!
~ ~ ~
I had been telling people that I wanted photo albums for Christmas. I'm finally going to tackle my photos next year and get them out of all the boxes. Lolo's gift that I opened on Christmas day was a really nice photo album. It holds 504 photos. I figured it would get me started. Then on Christmas night, between my Mom and daughter, I got FIVE MORE! Now if I can only finish that bathroom, I can tackle the photo problem. I also got some other really nice gifts from Mom and Kate.
~ ~ ~
People always complain about the Christmas season getting longer and longer, but it seemed really short to me this year. I loved all my gifts and I hope everyone liked the gifts I got them. Thursday I'm going to take down the tree. It is dry as a bone. I would do it tomorrow but that is Meals on Wheels Wednesday. Well if I get home early enough, I may go ahead and do it. It's hard to believe another year is almost over. Where does the time go?

7 comments:

Dan said...

Hi Geewits, thanks for stumbling onto my blog. So your hubby gave you an autographed Jersey and you gave your hubby a season of "Buffy"?

Gosh, you two are almost as weird as me and my wife. The best gift my wife gave me was a book about the villains of cowboy movies. I flipped through that one all night. And she loved the complete "Black Adder" collection that I gave her.

Revel in your weirdness. How wants to be normal? Not me? Being normal never got me anywhere! ;)

Jo said...

Geewits, it sounds like you had a great Christmas. I did too. We always judge our Christmases on the strange-o-meter, and this year ours was definitely a 10 (out of 10), but it was also one of the best. Maybe that's the secret.

Deviled eggs are almost my favorite thing. Maybe one day if you're feeling generous you can post the recipe...? Yum.

Cheers,
Josie

Jammie J. said...

Deviled eggs... sausage and eggs... making me hungry! :) I felt like the Christmas season was short, too, this year. I needed more time off to slow it down!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Enjoyed being allowed to read about your family christmas. I think your husband and I have much in common ...... I have all the seasons of Buffy!!!! Glad to meet fellow fans. Might you also be followers of Serenity which is also by Joss Whedon the creator of Buffy?

geewits said...

Dan,
The book on cowboy movie villains sounds great! I have a book called "Hey! It's That Guy!" about the best Hollywood character actors. You'd probably like that one too.

What's normal anyway? I know ONE person that leads a normal, by the book type life. And since she's just one, that must mean she's the odd one.

Josie,
If it was your best Christmas, maybe it wasn't strange at all. As far as the deviled eggs go, I have no recipe. I just add a little mayonnaise, a little Cavendar's and then start adding a bunch of different mustards until it tastes good.

Squirrel,
We loved Serenity! We just started watching "Huff" on DVD and Jewel Staite (Kaylee) was in the pilot. We also watch "Standoff" which features Gina Torres (Zoe). And of course Nathan Fillion just guest-starred on "Lost." Serenity was fun!

Ian Lidster said...

Such a nice sounding Christmas, and your enthusiasm is infectious. And San Diego, oh how I envy you that. I love San Diego. Have a drink at the Coronado just for me.
Happy 2007 to you.

Ian

PS: If you gave me an address I would send you some soap.

Dan said...

Geewits, I've seen that book. You're right -- I'd love it! :) Off to Half.com I go!