Saturday, September 22, 2007

The 7 P's. (I forgot about peas!)


Jazz tagged me with the "Seven P's" meme which goes like this: The idea is to come up with your thoughts on seven words beginning with P. So with no Particular thought or Preparation, here goes:

~

People. I've always considered myself a people person. I love watching and studying people. I like to make up stories about strangers that I see. The odd thing about this is it took me a long time to realize that although I love people, I prefer them from afar. My best friend lives in North Carolina and I have another very good friend there. I don't really have any friends here, just relatives that I spend some time with. I mostly do stuff with My Sweetie. And he is the same way.

~

Pizza. I've always thought it was overrated. I like a lot of variety in my food. I love meals that are sampler platters or a table full of hors d'oeuvres. I imagine I would love a tapas place. Pizza is the same thing bite after bite after bite. Sure, sometimes a slice of good pizza can really hit the spot, but then I want something else.

~

Pronunciation. We like to slightly mispronounce words on purpose to amuse ourselves. That's where "geewits" came from. It was our goofy mispronunciation of "gee wiz!" This is something we do so naturally, I can't think of any examples except that one. I should start writing them down. Or not. It's probably one of those private things that would just annoy people.

~

Physics. I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about physics. Except the math. I understood basic physics as a small child - I was using a heat sink at 6 to cool my hot chocolate. I would get all the spoons from the drawer and put them in one at at time for a few minutes. I knew this was cooling my drink. I got all of the basic stuff like cold causes contraction and heat causes expansion and that heat causes activity such as the motion of molecules, leading to stronger smells when heat is applied. I used to love making the other kids squeal when I'd put water in a bucket and swing it around. I couldn't understand how they could think the water would come out of the bucket. I just seemed to KNOW all of this stuff. and speaking of that,

~

Psychology. This is another of the sciences that amazed me. Because like physics, everything I read, I already knew. Like I was born with the knowledge. When I first started reading about psychology in the early 70's (and I was a CHILD), I was all "Duh! Doesn't everybody already know this stuff?" Except we didn't say "duh!" back then. It just all seemed so OBVIOUS. I took a Sociology class in high school and we had a guest speaker explain body language to the class. The whole thing was shocking to me because I thought it was just common sense and everybody already knew it.

~

Pterodactyls. We grew up fascinated by all things dinosaur and I particularly loved the pterodactyls. Unfortunately, this word has gone the way of Brontosaurus, another word I grew up with. They've been replaced by Pterosaur and Apatosaurus. To me they will always be Pterodactyls and Brontasauruses. I just like saying, "Pterodactyl."

~

Personality. When I was in third grade, at the beginning of the year, I looked around and decided I wasn't as cute as the cutest girls so I decided the best way be in charge and get the boyfriends was to develop a "Great Personality." This was my big goal and had my parents perplexed. They felt like they had to keep telling me how pretty I was, but to me it wasn't about that. Once I took off on the Great Personality quest, there was no stopping me. I'm not sure exactly what my 8-year-old brain thought a Great Personality consisted of, but I was bound and determined to accomplish this goal. I guess my main focus was humor and I ended up getting in A LOT of trouble that year. But I was quite popular. As a matter of fact, I was so popular that year that I was never that popular again. I peaked in third grade. I think it was my personality.

6 comments:

Scarlet said...

These are great! I liked the last one about your personality the best. I'd see you're still at your peek!

Jo said...

Geewits, your understanding of psychology comes through very strong and clear in who you are. There is no b*llshit. You're a very honest person. I like that.

If you ever come to Vancouver, I know the best tapas place to go to. I prefer eating that way as well. When I go out for dinner, I prefer to order a couple of different appetizers, rather than one meal.

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~I was a strange little kid.

Josie,
~~Just another in a long line of things we have in common.

Jammie J. said...

This was really fun to read and very creative! :) I like saying the "Preposterous", but it's not really applicable to anything in your post, except it starts with a P.

geewits said...

Jeanette,
~~Preposterous? Possibly.

Ian Lidster said...

I was going to do pterodactyls too. But, I think you did a much better job of it than I would have. Indeed, possibly a pulchritudinous job of them all. Interesting thing about physics. I've grown much more interested in the subject the older I've gotten.