Monday, November 05, 2007

A Shoe Story (including good food)

One thing I've discovered over the years is everybody is different about money. What I mean by that is every single person has a list in their head of what to throw money at and what to hold tightly to their cash about. And it is different for everyone, like fingerprints. I can only describe myself here, but I would love to hear some of your examples. I spare no expense when it comes to hotels, food and entertainment and yet I am excessively miserly when it comes to decor, clothes and shoes. There are probably millions of people who are just the opposite. I've been wearing the same shoes, winter and summer for YEARS. It actually makes me laugh to see an old picture and see the shoes and think, "I had these shoes WAY BACK THEN?" So on Saturday I decided it was time for new winter shoes. I have two pair of Sketchers, one brown and one black, that I've been wearing for forever and although I am neither a podiatrist, nor do I play one on TV, I imagine that's not a good thing and if you've been reading my blog long enough you may remember my horrible aching foot trouble from my San Diego trip last January. So when My Sweetie came home that day and said we were going to go to San Diego again in January, my VERY FIRST thought was, "I will have to get new winter shoes." But being a total discredit to my sex, I absolutely hate to shop for shoes. I hate everything about shoe shopping. I hate having to take my shoes off. I hate thinking that some weird strangers have stuck their feet in these same shoes. (That's probably why I have my own bowling shoes although I haven't bowled in years.) But it was time to buy shoes. So I ventured out of my cubby hole. Well I got lucky and bought two pair of Rocket Dogs. In brown and black, because that's how I do things. They are the type of shoe that are so ugly they are cute, which you will see later.
~
Well when we left the shoe store, My Sweetie wanted to go to the big pet store, but I was all stored out so I waited in the car. We were at the "Giant Shops by The Mall" or whatever it's called and I was looking over at Carraba's. I had only been there once one afternoon with my daughter and had always wanted to go back, but it was at the mall. It's not IN the mall, it's just in the mall parking lot. So when he came back, we decided to head over there. That was GOOD food. Whatever they mix into the olive oil for the bread is so garlicky delicious! And the wine I picked out went perfectly with the garlic. It was an Ecco Domani merlot and it was yummy. And the crabcakes! YUM city!

That's the olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, my wine and My Sweetie's Appletini (We watch a lot of "Scrubs").

These were the crabcakes I had. They were so yummy and on the side I had zucchini fries.


When we got home I decided to take some pictures of my new shoes and Barney wanted to know what the fuss was all about.

And then today, Jake took a nap in one of the shoe boxes. When he does that I call it a Jake-in-the -box. He's the 18-year-old cat. Pretty limber, eh? Lilly slept in this same box later, but I didn't get a picture. I love my new shoes but I hated shopping for them and paying for them. I hope these last as long as the Sketchers did.

9 comments:

Jazz said...

How cute is Jake? such an Awww moment.

As for cheap: I'm way cheap when it comes to hotels. I hate paying lots of money for a place I'll only be sleeping in. I figure if I don't see it, what's the point. Although I do love me a great hotel room at rock bottom price.

Jo said...

What is it with cats and shoes? Whenever I go to my daughter's house, her cat, (Coco Chanel), spends hours making love to my shoes! It's embarrassing.

Your new shoes are cute, by the way. I have two pair almost identical to those.

(I love Merlot.)

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~I can see that. You seem like a person that just gets up and goes. I actually spend time in my hotel because I am not a morning person. We usually have our first meal of the day in the room.

Josie,
~~Yes, cats and shoes. The orange cat in the box is the very ardent shoe "lover."

Big Brother said...

I like my lil sister am rather miserly when it comes to hotels... Mrs. BB and I visit so much that we are pretty well only in the room to sleep 8 hours. When we were in England we spent most of our time camping. It meant the difference between staying 2 weeks and staying 5 weeks. We were very comfortable and ended up staying at places that were well off the beaten tourist path, where we met many interesting local people.
As for clothing, the cheapest jeans and T-shirts I can find when the old ones get too grungy to wear.

Scarlet said...

Ecco Domani Merlot...nice choice. I love crab cakes, too, and spontaneous restaurant trips. I will spend good money on food, entertainment, boots (love your stylish comfy shoes btw), and blouses. I love getting a good deal on clothes/jeans, and I find the best ones at the Burlington Coat Factory.

The pic of your Jake is hilariously adorable. I love it!!

Tai said...

Yes, lovely Merlot!
As for shopping? I hate shopping. Despise malls. Can't stand it.
BUT, I'll spend a pretty penny on dinner out and wine.
We'll have a good time in May with Josie, 'cus by hook or by crook, I'm getting on that little ferry to Vancouver and visting with both of you in May!
OR, ya'll are welcome to come to Victoria, which is also spectacular!

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~The most expensive clothing I bought in the last 10 years was the dress I wore to get married in back in 2000. I then had it altered. I took my daighter to the same store a few weeks later to get a dress for her and saw that my dress was now on clearance and I was FURIOUS. I'm not sure I'm over that yet!

Scarlet,
~~Oh! We used to have Burlington Coat factory just down the street and it moved. They did have great prices. I order my jeans from L.L. Bean and the last ones were only $19.95 and had free shipping. Woo hoo!

Tai,
~~Save your hooks and crooks. Josie has promised me a ferry ride and she wants me to see Vancouver Island, so I imagine we can meet you there. Pick a great bar/restaurant with good music.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Those are two ADORABLE Cats....Sweet! I love that he got in the shoebox...! LOL!

Your dinner/snack Looks Delicious! And I LOVE a really good Oil & Balsamic Vinegar Bread dip....YUMMMYYYYY!

One day I will write about The Byrds...It is not a very interesting story, believe me...LOL!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I doubt that. ALL of your stories are interesting!