Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ever So Goofy, There's No Place Like Home




Whoa, August has been a blur of heat and stuff happening. That may look like an ad, but it's an actual polaroid picture with all that Bud stuff pre-printed on it. We were at olivertwist Saturday night (I think, I mean I think it was Saturday) and some Bud people took our picture for no reason. I flew in on Wednesday. The funeral was Friday. I left on Monday. It was a nice ceremony for my grandmother. The speaker was a retired minister from back when my grandmother still attended church there. It was VERY obvious that he knew her well. I was impressed by that. I've been to funerals that seemed kind of impersonal and generic. I saw cousins that I had not seen since the 70's. The funniest was my cousin Vicky. Mom had told me she wasn't coming (from Wilmington) because she had been missing for some time. Apparently she is a crazy crackhead (a 49-year-old one!) and disappears for weeks at a time. Well not only did she show up, but she was wearing a dress she must have stolen right out of the wardrobe department of Big_Love/ . Seriously she looked like an Amish woman from 1963. It was very weird. My favorite nephew was there and he was too cute. He stood by me at the cemetery. He'll be 18 in October. Unfortunately he is my brother's son and I don't care for my brother. Oooh, and my brother came up and hugged me. Yuck City. There was no gathering after the cemetery part. My Aunt Ann lives near there, but when I asked her if people were going to her house afterwards, she just said, "I don't know." I did not consider that an invitation. Lolo and I had to pee like mad monkeys at that point and stopped at the first place we could find. It was a Mexican restaurant there in Raleigh. We went to the bar for some beers and although we told them we would not be eating, they served us chips and salsa. Oddly enough, it was some of the best salsa I have ever had. Very fresh and homemade. Lots of cilantro and garlic and a good spicy bite without burning your tongue so bad you couldn't really savor the flavors.

On Sunday I saw an old friend that I've known since junior high school. His band did the closing credit song for the Joaquin Phoenix and Vince Vaughn movie Clay Pigeons/ . The song was "Clay Pigeons (The Ballad Of Lester Long)." He's a really cool and really sweet guy. On Monday I saw my bestest bestest guy friend Bill. We had lunch and he told me the funniest joke. I can't tell it here because it is totally an aural joke. I had a great time seeing old family, hanging out with Lolo and spending some time with old friends.

It was nice being back on my Meals on Wheels route today. Also today was my daughter's 22nd birthday. My Sweetie, Kate and my parents (who are temporarily back from their NC retirement/vacation place) all met at a great small Italian restaurant for Kate's birthday dinner. It's really hard to believe that my daughter is 22.

I'm in a cleaning/purging mood and want to seriously de-clutter the house. The next charity group that calls about a pick-up will be thrilled when I say, "Yes! I will have many items!"

Oh and it was actually UNDER 100 degrees today. Woo Hoo! So anyway, I'm back and am ready to get back into my groove and hopefully make an attempt at filling the unforgiving minute.

(wink)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you came and stayed with me! We had so much fun! And don't forget to not talk to me when I'm drinking a coke!